Dr. Matthias Buhs
Due to my long-term commitment to modern cartilage treatment, I founded the „Cartilage Center of Northern Germany“ in Quickborn near Hamburg in August 2018. My most important goal is to preserve the affected joint as much as possible by offering cartilage treatments, including cartilage transplantation (ACT).
The Cartilage Centre of Northern Germany is also located in the Surgical Orthopaedic Care Centre (COVZ), which is managed by Arne Janssen, MD, and myself. This ensures the best overall care for patients with a holistic orthopaedic approach and state-of-the-art examination procedures.
I constantly focus on all medical-orthopaedic market developments so that I can always offer our patients the latest and most sensible cartilage therapy. In terms of surgery, I have specialised in the knee joint and the upper ankle joint.
In the field of cartilage I am an active member of the working group „Clinical Tissue Regeneration“ of the German Society for Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery and a member of the „Qualitätskreis Knorpelrepair & Gelenkerhalt e.V.“ (Quality Circle for Cartilage Repair & Joint Preservation), of which I am currently a member of the board.
I am a practice instructor – i.e. a knowledge and experience mediator during operations – at medical workshops, co-author of scientific publications and give lectures on the subject of cartilage and cartilage transplantation.
In total, I currently perform about 300 cartilage repair or regenerative operations of varying degrees of difficulty every year.
In Northern Germany I am the first user of the drug Spherox® (active ingredient: spheroids from human autologous matrix-associated chondrocytes), i.e. transplantation of the body’s own cartilage cells. Spherox® is the only product for autologous chondrocyte transplantation in the knee joint with European approval.
Furthermore, I was the first surgeon to combine the „minced cartilage“ procedure with a liquid acellular matrix.
I am in constant contact with other renowned cartilage experts.
As a committed member, I participate in the cartilage register of the German Society for Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery.
MY HEAVY POINTS AND SPECIALIZATIONS
- Autologous chondrocyte transplantation (ACT or M-ACT): cartilage transplantation
- Treatment of cartilage defects with acellular matrices (membrane or gel after nanofracturing)
- Application of the „minced cartilage“ procedure (performed by me for the first time in Germany in connection with a biological cartilage implant made of collagen)
- Implantation of mini replacements for isolated defects
- Implantation of individual knee implants (artificial knee joint)
- Axis correction (conservative / operative)
- cruciate ligament replacement
- meniscus surgery
- Medical cartilage treatment
- Individualized follow-up treatment after cartilage operations
1. QKG Cartilage Compact Course Hamburg on 21.02.2020
Further information and registration
(external german site)